A salary more than € 128,810?
You accrue future income under your pension scheme. Is your salary more than €128,810? In that case, you do not accrue pension on the part exceeding €128,810. Zwitserleven has a solution for this: the net pension scheme. This scheme enables you to nevertheless accrue pension on your salary above €128,810. And if you are about to retire, you can use the accumulated capital to purchase a net pension. You do not pay tax and social security contributions on it.
Net pension accrual
Since 2015, a cap applies to the salary eligible for pension accrual via your employer. In 2023, that cap is €128,810 gross. Zwitserleven’s net pension scheme enables you to accrue pension on the portion of your salary exceeding the amount of €128,810. The net pension scheme is voluntary. Do you opt to participate? Then you pay a monthly contribution from your net salary. We then invest this contribution on your behalf. You can select HorizonBeleggen and – if permitted by your employer –also for ProfielBeleggen or VrijBeleggen. You are also free to choose whether to insure net surviving dependants’ pension.
Check your pension scheme rules to see if you have the option to accrue net pension. Your pension scheme rules are available in MijnZwitserleven.
Buying a net pension with accumulated capital
If you are about to retire and have accumulated net pension capital, you use this capital to buy a net pension. At Zwitserleven, you can choose between a fixed or a variable pension. This option will also be available if you accrued net pension capital with a different pension provider.
- With a fixed pension, you will receive the same amount of pension income every month. We determine this amount on the date you retire.
- If you opt for a variable pension, you will continue to invest after your retirement date with part of your pension capital. Your pension income will be redetermined each year.
Tax and social security contributions
You pay monthly contributions. Your employer withholds these contributions from your net salary and ensures they are paid to Zwitserleven. The accrued capital is exempt from tax on investment income in Box 3 of income tax. You will not need to pay any tax and social security contributions on the pension income you will receive during retirement. This also applies to your partner if they receive a net surviving dependants’ pension.
Good to know
- Your employer has decided for you whether you can avail yourself of the net pension scheme. Refer to MijnZwitserleven to see if you have this option.
- You decide whether to participate and for what amount.
- The investment options for your additional net contributions are the same as those for your basic pension scheme. You can opt for HorizonBeleggen. If permitted by your employer, you can also opt for ProfielBeleggen or VrijBeleggen.
- But what if you die before the retirement date? If you have insured a partner’s pension, your partner will receive a pension income for as long as they live.
How it works
Zwitserleven’s net pension scheme enables you to accrue pension on the portion of your salary exceeding the amount of €128,810. You can arrange this yourself in MijnZwitserleven.
If you are about to retire and have accumulated net pension capital, you use this capital to buy a net pension.
When your pension comes into payment, you will receive pension income every month. You do not pay tax and social security contributions on it.
Want to buy a net pension with your accrued net pension capital? Then you will need advice from a pension adviser. They can answer your questions and give you independent advice on a pension income that suits you. The pension adviser will also arrange a quote and the application for you.